At the age of nine your child will want to put some distance between himself and you, the parent. and may rebel against authority in general. Children at this age need to be part of a group but they seek independency at the same time. Your child may posses a high activity level. Emotional level of your child will become deeper. He will be able to empathize, express a wide range of emotions and verbalize easily. Your child will also be able to think more independently and critically and begin to increase their sense of truthfulness. Your child may lack self-confidence and need your support and praise.
Please see info on bicycling safety
At nine-years-old, your child is learning how to make decisions and set standards. You can help by encouraging your child as he:
* Begins making decisions.
* Gains a greater sense of responsibility.
* Sets personal standards.
* Develops personal interests and abilities.
* Develops social skills.
* Learns to engage in group decision-making.
How to buy the right Toy for Ages 6 through 12
* For all children, adults should check toys periodically for breakage and potential hazards. Damaged or dangerous toys should be repaired or thrown away.
* If buying a toy gun, be sure the barrel, or the entire gun, is brightly colored so that it’s not mistaken for a real gun.
* If you buy a bicycle for any age child, buy a helmet too, and make sure the child wears it.
* Teach all children to put toys away when they’re finished playing so they don’t trip over them or fall on them.
Signs of Difficulty
At this level, children can encounter great difficulty if they have weak study skills. Also, deficiencies in basic skills will hamper progress. Poor readers will find it extremely difficult to handle materials. Children who haven’t mastered basic math facts will face more difficulty in their mathematics classes.
Your child will have trouble if he hasn’t learned to: Organize their time efficiently, behave appropriately in the classroom, master a solid reading
vocabulary, handle basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts automatically, study for tests.
Teach them the Value of Money
Make a trip to the bank to open a savings account. Let your child fill out the deposit slip, and explain that the bank will pay interest.
Include your child in family discussions of finances, such as budgeting and planning for family vacations. Explaining how you decided to forgo the fancy sports car in exchange for a sedan and a family trip to the beach can teach about trade-offs and your family’s values. More…
Skills Your Child Should Learn this Year
School changes quite dramatically for children in fourth grade. No longer will they concentrate on learning basic reading skills. They’ll be applying these skills in content area subjects such as social studies, science, and health. In mathematics, students will consolidate their skills before beginning to learn more sophisticated concepts in the last years of elementary school. Study skills will become very important as students will now be asked to write reports, handle long-term assignments, and do projects.
Your child will learn to:
* Read textbooks
* use contextual clues to discover the meaning of words
* understand and use the steps of the writing process from pre-writing to the final draft
* write research reports
* Locate information in the library.
* Use encyclopedias, newspapers, atlases, and magazines as resources.
* Add and subtract fractions.
* Name the place value for numbers through millions.
* Divide by one and two digit numbers.
* Use calculators and computers.
If you are a kid please see our terms and conditions